Swimming: Take One
You know what this means….
I swam!! I finally got over my fear of swimming and just went for it. I was never on swim team , so although I was taught the basic strokes at summer camp I don’t feel confident in the water at all. But everyone starts somewhere so I after work I drove over to my gym, which also has an outdoor pool. Luckily most of the sunbathers were gone at the point so I was a little less self-conscious.
I started with two laps with a kickboard which is a lot harder than I thought. I then swam 10 laps of breast stroke, 10 laps of free-style, and then 10 more laps of breast stroke. I cooled down with another 2 laps of kickboarding.
If someone wants to translate that to swim-speak for me, feel free.
Things I Learned:
- Free-style is not my strength. I felt like I could never get good breaths and I don’t know how to pace my kicks with my arm strokes. I had to take a break after each lap of free-style.
- I could do the breast stroke forever. It’s nice and slow and calm.
- I still get foot cramps in the water, especially when using a kickboard. I’ve always had this weird thing where my feet and toes cramp up in the water…no bueno.
But now that I’ve gotten my first time out of the way I’m excited to go back and try to make some progress. YAY swimming!
I really wanted a smoothie for dinner tonight. I was *this* close to just being boring and having the same meal I had last night, but then I remembered the big container of veggies in my produce drawer and the leftover vinaigrette that was about to go bad. So instead of a smoothie, I created a grain and bean salad that was packed with nutrients!
First I cooked 1/4 cup red quinoa on the stove and steamed 2 cups of Trader Joe’s chopped veggie mix. When those were finished, I combined them in a bowl and added 1/2 cup drained and rinsed chickpeas. About 2 tablespoons of my leftover jalepeno cilantro vinaigrette from Crazy Bowls and Wraps got mixed in and I placed the bowl in the refrigerator to cool for a few minutes before serving it on a bed of spinach.
So good! The jalepeno cilantro vinaigrette is my all-time favorite dressing. I really need to ask them for their recipe. And I love that this meal packs a protein and veggie punch.
One thing I did repeat from yesterday was a nighttime snack of a banana with Sunbutter. I love the combo of the salty butter against the slightly sweet banana. And again, it prevents me from going overboard with the sugary snacks!
1. The skirt I wore today is from Forever 21 a few years ago. Glad so many of you liked it!
2. I get a decaf Americano because Starbucks doesn’t brew iced decaf coffee. It doesn’t taste much different than regular coffee to me. And it comes black so you can add milk or sugar, but I don’t.
3. Sometimes I spell my own name wrong.
- Are you a swimmer? Any tips?